View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 01:43 AM

Default Checking behind flops HU

I was watching one old NL $100 stoxtrader video when the following situation occurred. UTG minraised and Hero (stox) reraised to 6$ w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] from the HJ. Both full stacks. Everyone else folds.
Flop comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG checks and Hero checks behind.

Is this a very standard play in NL? I'm having problems to understand it because in limit I'm just used to always auto bet the flop and probably also turn. In the video he motivates his flop check by the fact that he will induce bluffs on the turn by checking and also draw cheaply himself. Also he say he will not fold out a better hand and not get any worse hands to call.

This looks weird to me. What’s the point with inducing bluffs in this hand. I assume sometimes villain will lead strongly on the turn and force us to fold the best hand with a semibluff?
Also I can see villain folds some better hands to the flopbet, like PP:s from 22-55 . Or is it to weak to fold those hands?
Finally the thing with not getting worse hands to call. Isn’t it a good thing to bet and fold out hands like AJ, AT.

I’m new to NL so I'm not criticizing his play.. Just want to know why and the theory behind it. Also by understanding this might get me to understand why it’s often better to bet into the pf raiser in NL rather than C/R as you do in limit HU