View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: How should I play overpairs oop?

Thanks for your post overun and especially Matt Flynn. It is very nice to hear some background strategy instead just monosyllables ;-). That was exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated, thank you.

I have already heard about SPR, though I have not read about it yet, but I'm planning to, maybe in "Professional no-limit hold’em: volume one" by Ed Miller, Sunny Mehta and Matt Flynn!! I'm amazed that you are the Co-author Matt.

In a reraised pot, and normal stacks the SPR will almost always be below 4.5 (that is according to what overrun is saying). Hence it should be okay to commit with an overpair or TPTK. I believe this to be theoretically correct. I also implies that you can commit every time with an overpair, in a reraised pot (where the shortest stack is approx “normal” that is 100BB), but I don’t like the idea of never folding an overpair in this situation, sometimes I do believe it is correct to fold an overpair here, though it is rare (1 in eight to ten times maybe, around the same times as the a weaker hand would have outdrawn you) I like your comment here Matt.

[ QUOTE ]

Once you hit the flop, you can improve on "blind" commitment. Play poker. If you think the guy's got you beat more often than the implied odds justify, fold. Provided you're right, you make more money.
[/qoute]

It is a good idea to switch on the brain instead of playing blind commitment in these situations, it will give +EV in the long run. I require a lot of “feel” as you say, and that takes experience of course. I just love theory and general guidelines, to make the “feel” more precise and even better, and to make sure that the “feel” is not way off.

[ QUOTE ]

also, if your bets get no action, randomize in some suited connectors and AK. you LOVE taking down the preflop pot with those. if they'll fold most of the time that bet alone makes money. you freeroll on hitting your hand. plus you aggravate people with your aggression, which can work to your favor whenever you have a good hand. once they start playing back at you, tighten up. a lot of this requires "feel," but it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do a lot of this, sometimes I even reraise with air, if there is a high probability of that the raiser will fold. Example: he has been raising a lot, I haven’t been reraising at all, and he is “good player” capable of folding to a reraise ofcourse).

I do agree with a lot of posters to make the reraise more than pot when you are oop. It is hard to control the pot in any way oop, and therefore it’s hard not to end up all in, even though you think you are beat. In position you have a better chance of getting to a cheap(er) showdown in case you want to. I have already begun making my oop reraises a little more than pot (approx 10%). My in position raises are still approx. pot.