View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Pot control against donk who won\'t lay down hand?

I was playing a live 3-5 game and picked up JT of spades on the button. There was no raise and I limped in too. Here are the stacks of the players involved:

Me: $2000
Guy A: $1300
Guy B: $500

The flop is AQ7 rainbow and checked all around. The turn came a K of club, which gave me the nut straight and put a club draw out there.

Guy A, whom from I observed is a donkey, bet out $20. Guy B, who is a loose gamblng donkey, called. I raised to $100.

When it got back around to Guy A, he re-raise it to 200. Guy B calls (cold calls $200 when you're sandwiched between two raisers... wow). Then I thought about what I should do...

The only hand I'm afraid of right now is JT of clubs... the nut straight with the redraw. But I highly doubt anyone had that. I put Guy A on two pair or a set, and Guy B on a flush draw. I decided to push to make it obvious that I had the nut straight and to take it down. I didn't think Guy A would call $1100 for a full house draw. And if he did call... I'm an 80% favorite if he has a set.

Guy A thought for a while and to my dismay, he said "OK I gamble" and he called. Guy B said "I'll gamble too!" and called.

The board paired on the river, of course, and Guy A showed pocket Aces for Aces full. He limped in with AA and flopped a set and slow played it, and obviously couldn't lay it down. Guy B had a club draw and missed.

I was pretty pissed cause I was up a lot. I had turned my buy in of $500 to $2000 and was ready to leave. I really didn't want to get involved in any big pots unless I had the nuts.

When I'm up against donkey players who may not lay down their hands, do you think it's a better strategy to control the pot? By that, I mean simply calling instead of raising/pushing on the turn. If the board paired on the river, I can fold and not risk a big chunk of my stack.

Against good players, I might push on the turn because they won't pay me off on the river if the board doesn't pair. However, against a bad player like Player A, I think he still would've paid me off if he didn't fill up on the river, so I could've waited until the river before I decide to get my money in.

How would you have played this hand?