View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Re: 1/2 river vs tanshuiwen

I think Dean's recommendation for BK to check with the intention to fold to a bet is the correct one vs me here.

Lately because of influence from Tongni I been folding ace highs more - so if I was playing against myself in this spot I check fold because:

1) If BK bets into on this board and given this action, I'm not calling ace high. BK is a player with a good reputation from 2+2 and more importantly (at least under the screenname BicycleKick) has not been a regular lately in the 1-2 games so I think he'll be playing more straightforward. So I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that his BB caling range vs 2-hole raise has a greater propensity to be a 'legit holding' compared to something like 57s - which is why I can't call ace high there because legit holdings that can check raise this flop is far more likely to have a pair than a draw (yes I can get creative and think of hands I may beat but pot's not exactly huge, I can give it up). If I do call, I have 77 beat. In fact, if I hit that river I'm raising.

2) For very similar reasons, if BK checks the river I won't bluff/value ace high. There's three categories of hands that can occur here. Optimistically BK can have a busted draw, so I'm not going to bother betting if checked to since he won't call a busted draw. BK can have A-x and thought his hand was good from the flop since the flop is broadway-safe, but then it would be hard for him to call down ace high here, so there's no reason to bet. Lastly, he can have a pair, which betting into is no good since he'll most likely call (at least, I would think so). So I won't bet if checked to if I can't at least beat bottom pair.

The most likely scenario in this hand goes:

1) If I hit the river and BK bets I raise, he loses 1-2 bets.

2) If I miss the river and BK bets I fold, he gains 0 bets.

3) If I hit the river and BK checks and I bet and he folds he loses 0 bets, if he calls he loses 1 bet.

4) If I miss the river and BK checks I will check behind, and BK wins/loses 0 bets.

Given all the permutations, I think check-folding is better. I know my assessment of TanShuiWen's thinking is accurate - because well, it's me.

Phew, this got kind of long. Don't mind me - I'm pretty tired after a long on-line and then Commerce session.

~andy