View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Fantasy Ethics Question

[ QUOTE ]
But you still have to live with yourself. There are plenty of ways to make money ethically. Your sentiment feels morally bankrupt to me. It's hard to teach what's right to one's kids when one is willing to do anything for a buck.

[/ QUOTE ]Well, I specifically wasn't willing to do anything for a buck.

Which is why I don't cheat at poker. At most it'd gain me a couple of thousands a month. At least until I got very good at it. And then it's not worth the douchebag feeling, or the risk of getting caught. To be honest the latter is probably more important, I don't know that I would give up even small unethical edges if it were completely risk free.

But the described situation is much, much better. We're talking about extremely low risk coupled with obscene amounts of money. At that point, screw ethics, as long as I'm not killing anyone.

We're talking about gaining a few million dollars by transfering them from a bunch of gambling degens and poker sites. As sins goes, it's bad, but there's far worse out there.

So what I'm talking about isn't doing anything for a buck. It's moderately screwing over others for financial security otherwise unavailble. And frankly I'd want my children to do the same.
[ QUOTE ]
I attacked the question differently. I'm not convinced that this is cheating. After all, anyone can bonk themselves with a brick and get the same powers. (Right?)

[/ QUOTE ]While true, it's also true that anyone potentially could install a trojan or play with marked cards. This is a situation where it's pretty clear no one would play you if they knew your ability and that it would be forbidden in the rules if it were known to exist.