View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Fantasy Ethics Question

OPs example seems to cross a line that we'd all love to skirt. The best poker players can put their opponents on hands quite accurately, using skills they have, that their opponents do not. We just call this good poker, totally fair, etc. OP is talking about another potential gift that she would have and not the other players.

The reason this crosses the line is that there is no room for a defense to it. Against a gifted reader I can turn away, act crazy, wear sunglasses and put a hood over my face, alter my betting patterns, temporarily deviate from optimal strategy, or use any means of deception I like. Against someone with the ability to see my hole cards there is nothing I can do.

Personally I come across something like this all the time. Say, there's an old bastard next to me who not only doesn't protect his cards, but lifts them up a foot off the table and holds them perpendicular so that everyone 3 seats in either direction can see them. I tell him twice that I can see his cards, if that doesn't change anything, then I have to assume that he doesn't care, and I'm not going to mention it again. And if I can see his cards, I'll use that information.