View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: How have you taken advantage of being a poker pro?

[ QUOTE ]
Since I discovered poker quite a bit later in life than most of the players here (I'm 27 now, and didn't start playing until after college), poker has mostly been a pragmatic thing for me. It's helped me pay off a lot of debt, pay for a wedding last September, and buy a house.

The biggest thing that it's allowing me to do right now is work on starting a coffeeshop with my wife. It's something that she's been doing for years -- managing and working as a barista (no, not at Starbucks) -- and an industry that both she and I love.

I'm definitely hoping it doesn't completely fade away in the short term, but even if it has, it's been a great thing.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm in the exact same boat (let's get together!) in terms of age, stage of life, and when i started playing poker. I've never put in that many hours, or moved up that much in stakes, so I'm still basically a very part-time mid-stakes grinder. But poker has allowed me to pay for a beautiful wedding, buy a gorgeous engagement ring, go on an incredible honeymoon, buy a near-perfect condo, and go on fun vacations every year with my wife. So it hasn't really let me do anything that I wouldn't have done anyways, probably, but it has allowed me to do all of the things that I wanted to do a lot nice and better.