View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Preflop Raises With A Straddle On The Table

When there is a straddle I make preflop raises depending on the size of the pot, not on the size of the blinds. Put this way... say the game is 1/2 with no straddle. Say preflop there is $3 in the pot to start and a standard raise is $6 - twice the pot (this REALLY varies with the game. In some 1/2 games $8 is an overbet preflop, and in others, $10 is a minimum raise preflop). If there is a straddle, now the pot is $6 before any action occurs. So I'd consider opening for $12. I might make it 10, I might make it 15, depends on the table. Most people don't adjust to the straddle, and will fold to a $10 raise what they would call for $6 in normal circumstances. In other cases, people fall all over themselves to get into a straddled pot and you need to raise more than normal to get the same effect.

Note that a lot depends on the characteristics of the straddler. MANY straddlers are going to raise no matter what. In this situation you are basically never going to want to limp after the straddler unless you plan to re-raise after he comes in and drive out the other players.

The biggest problem that many players have with straddling players is that they don't treat it as a blind hand, which it is. I play limit games but I raise way lighter in straddled pots if I'm first in, because I can make people call "2 bets" and they don't consider the additional money in the pot.