View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Button steal checkup

[ QUOTE ]
Live mid-limit game. You're on the button, and the SB is a tight aggressive pro. He respects your play -- including your ability to lay down and your ability to read hands.

Folded to you, and you raise Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB thinks for a moment and calls. BB folds.

Flop comes A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB checks, you bet, and SB check-raises.

What's your line now? What are the benefits of 3-betting here? If you do 3-bet, do you take a free turn card? Do you bet the turn and take a free showdown? What if your 3-bet gets 4-bet? If you just call, are you raising a diamond turn on a semibluff? If you don't improve, are you calling the turn and folding the river? Calling down? How bad is folding the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

SB is a tight aggressive pro? Only hands he should flat call a single late position raise from the SB are AA and KK. Doesn't look good. Even hands like QJ suited make more from the dead money overlay of the BB than they gain by having a third player.

I call the flop and fold unimproved on turn. If the very same hand had the BB for the opponent I'd 3 bet the flop, take the free turn, and call the river unimproved unless a King or Jack showed up. This is also how I'd play it against a SB who you don't believe uses Stox type preflop strategy.