View Single Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Trying to find a Bruce Lee quote/interview

Okay, sure.

He was recovering from an operation in the late*-sixties (undescended testicle(s)) so he was hobbling around when my two other uncles were introduced to him (probably in Santa Monica, not sure).

*The answer to the last item below makes me realize it had to be the late sixties at the earliest--unless one uncle is conveying stories over a period of years--see 1966 mentioned in earlier post.

Even in this compromised state, he showed them some physical demonstrations that were very impressive:

i) standing under a ceiling light bulb about 8 feet up, he could kick it without a running start;

ii) again, from a standing position about 6-8 feet away, he had my two uncles brace themselves with some kicking shield. He'd just jump towards them and send them flying, no surprise there;

iii) he had this big kicking bag, the heavy duty type, maybe filled with sand? (can't remember, I only remember that it left indentations). So again, from a standing position, no run, he jumps up and kicks it five times before landing on his feet, and you could see the five indentations on the bag.

He's probably shorter than all the magazines list him as.

He's indeed very cocksure, I don't think you could meet anyone with more confidence, even when he's relaxing with friends.

He said that if he could choose one athlete as an ideal physical specimen to train to be a supreme fighter, he'd choose...

answer in the next post, so you can think about it! lol

P.S. I imagine his wife, his friends, and others will not admit to his operation (and indeed, he writes about serious back injuries earlier) so I figure you are getting this here first, and probably won't get any confirmation or agreement from other primary sources. Makes you wonder about losing opponents kicking him in the groin without results, lol.

He also went around HK and even Japan looking to see if anyone could beat him in a fight...