View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Should icing the kicker be banned?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lots of kickers are somewhat mentally fragile. Not that that's a good thing, but they are. Also, changes in wind, a better jump for the defense, and (if you're on a natural field) minor changes in field condition can happen. Also, obviously, the possibility of a fumbled snap, bad hold, or just general stuff that happens when Tony Romo is your holder could happen too.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are these things any more likely to happen on the second try than on the first one??? From your posts in this thread it seems like you don't realize that if the first FG goes wide but timeout was called, they get to try again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally realize that. I'm a kicker. Its a completely different ball game the second time around. You have to have a VERY short memory as a kicker to put previous misses or makes behind you. If you can't do that, you lose a lot of your effectiveness.

A lot of it is strictly in chance too. The defense getting 2 shots at a block is better than one, obviously. Same for a fumbled snap, or even a simple shank. They're not that common on any one given play, but you get two shots at it, and who knows what can happen?

I fully understand that if the kicker misses the first time they get to try again. That's part of the gamble you take when you try to "ice" a guy.