Thread: 60-120 hand
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 10:34 PM

Default OK, Enough

So the river is an Ace and she checks quickly. I thought for about three seconds. I concluded that with all those chips already in the pot she would likely bet out and that, imaginative or not, she wouldn't check-raise me without a set of aces here, so I could bet and comfortably--or at least not uncomfortably--fold to a check-raise. And that she was possibly disgusted enough with my set of tens (in her mind) to call the river with her kings or queens anyway; the call of the raise in rhythm on the turn indicated to me that she was pot-committed at that point. I bet and she called quickly but unenthusiastically. She shook her head in disgust when I showed and flashed her pocket kings.

As many have pointed out, 4-betting pre-flop has merit, and I put in as many as six bets too many on the flop. That not one person could find a defense of my flop play is, of course, telling. The more interesting discussion might be whether to check the flop or bet when she checks, good points being raised by both Surfdoc and HowMany on that issue.