View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Re: [LO8] Two Pair in HU-Pot

[ QUOTE ]
any A2 is also worth about .5BB for me too. So winning the blinds is a good result.

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Big Dave - Are you raising before the flop every time you have an ace-deuce hand? My first reaction is, "No wonder 'any A2' is worth 0.50BB."

That wasn't a fair thing for me to write - but it was irresistible - and meant in good natured humor. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

This particular ace-deuce hand is a rather nice starting hand:
A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
True, I don't play on-line, and thus my perspective has to be different and not as good for this on-line game as that of somebody who does - but I still think this nice starting hand is worth more than 0.75 BB. I still think you want customers after the flop if you can figure out how to get them. I still think your goal should not be merely to steal the blinds.

I understand the First Commandment of Texas Hold 'Em Poker: Thou shalt play to win the blinds.

And I'm advocating breaking that Commandment.

In addition, I may seem to be breaking the First Commandment of Omaha-8: Thou shalt play to scoop.

But actually I'm not breaking that commandment. I still want to scoop with this hand if I can figure out how to do it and win more than a crummy 0.75BB! 0.75BB is only a tenth of a not particularly big pot. 0.75 is bait! We don't eat the bait. We catch big marlins with the bait. I admit they're likely to be scrawny marlins in this uber-tight game which doesn't look like a very good fishing ground to me. (But that's another topic).

I do see your point, Big Dave: [ QUOTE ]
I would probably limp first in with a lot of A2s, but probably not in the CO or BB and especially against tight players who are likely to pass.

[/ QUOTE ]Your reasoning does make sense to me. However, I'm still going to limp with this hand from the cut-off position, even in that tight game after five folds. I still want to play this 0.5 BB bait to try to win more than 0.75 BBs. Maybe the difference between our points of view is simply in playing styles. (And I'm certainly not saying my usual playing style would work better than yours in your games).

Buzz

Edit: the above was a reply to an earlier post of yours, not your latest. I need to read your latest again before possibly replying.