View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: PF Raising Logic

"all I can say is that ur thinking about this issue seems to clearly be off, folding AQo in the blinds or vs tight early raises is fine (cold calling sux tho) but 3betting mid- low PPs should not be the norm while cold calling AK should never be done"

Why is cold calling with aq, especially in position, bad? I agree that if opener is utg or utg + 1 and u don't want any overcallers behind u, then it makes a lot of sense to raise. Other than that, I find cold calling with aq and ak can extract a lot of value from hands like aj, a10 and a9s when the flop is a-high as they expect u to be 3-betting better aces pf. Also, what's the difference in between 3-betting small pps and 3 betting scs? Both r deceptive cause they could hit low flops very hard and in fact ur more likely to flop a set with a pp than a made hand or good draw with a sc. If i am cold calling oop with hands like aq or kq or ak, then i either lead the flop regardless or look to c/r dry flops. BTW, i'm not advocating limping with these hands for two reasons (other than the fact that i never open limp in 6-max):
1) When u open, u will get called by hands like a10s, aj, kq, kj etc. whereas when u 3-bet, pretty much all hands u dominate r thrown away
2) Hands like aq and ak r most comfortable in heads up situations where u can feel safe with tptk whereas in multi-way limped pots, u'll have to be a lot more cautious.