View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: The immigration issue (YouTube Republican debate)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What percentage of this issue is just racism, do you think? (I heard the words "assimilate" and "be a part our culture" a lot from the candidates, which sounds a heck of a lot like code to me.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 90% of the issue is culture, not racism. Have you been to a fast food restaurant or retail store lately? No one working in those places speaks English anymore. As long as the majority of the workforce that people interact with on a daily basis have 0 language skills, people will be pissed of about illegal immigration, regardless of whether those people are illegal immigrants. That and its nice to be able to go to Home Depot without being swarmed by illegal immigrants asking you if you need help.

[/ QUOTE ]
In return, stuff is cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to less illegal immigration, a broken legal immigration system and a broken welfare system, yes.

Compared to less illegal immmigration, an effective legal immigration/guest worker program and a welfare system that puts people to work instead of feeding them life support, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is limiting immigration ever going to drive prices down? I mean, if you lump in "removing welfare" with your limiting of immigration I'm sure you are going to get a NET decrease in costs, but its in SPITE of your legal immigration system and not because of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not in spite of nor because of, its a package of rational policies that would result in whatever the necessary levels of immigration/guest workers are and reduce welfare costs at the same time. the net result is the same or lower prices and lower taxes/smaller deficits

[/ QUOTE ]

Right but you are talking about an optimization considering BOTH variables, I'm talking about maximizing one of the variables. I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion that, in todays America or the near future, your plan is the best way to reduce costs of goods. I'm just saying it isnt the best way, and by limiting immigration you ARE driving up prices. You are driving down costs for welfare, sure, but since I dont support welfare that isnt an argument that holds much water with me. If I put on my reality hat, I can understand that welfare isnt going anywhere soon though.