View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Dating a poker pro- From the perspective of a non-playing girlfrie

The problem with business ventures is that while they offer an alternative source of income I find that everything I have attempted has had a less favourable money to hassle/effort ratio than gambling. The only investment options that really appeal to me are ones where I'm completely passive.

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you socked away $2mm, you are only going to be earning $100k after taxes per year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you just keeping the $2M in a bank account?

Also a lot of people would be happy to live off $100k and not have to work. There is a thread in BFI where a guy wants to retire on $30k at 40 which I think is insane.

The problem with your point is that for someone not to be happy with $100k a year doing nothing than they had to have been much better off when doing something. Since the hypothetical man in this case managed to save $2M in 10 years and live he had to have been making at least $300-350k/year to now not be happy with $100k. Which is possible but then he'll just keep gambling since it is obviously working out for him.

I could have retired from gambling years ago if I wanted to be responsible with money. I'm not though so I'll probably keep doing it until I'm old enough that I can't enjoy the money.