View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Re: (razz) Tournament hand - fold 5th?

[ QUOTE ]
Find me someone else, in the much better than us camp, who folds this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]Why would I do that? To "prove" I am "right?" Rusty, I have no interest whatsoever in converting you to my practices. I express my views, how I came by them. You can express yours. I do not need to be right. I only need to be happy with my own choices.

SG, your interpretation of what you read is your interpretation, not anything that was actually said, that I recall. But I don't own the book, or have a copy in my possession, so I can't check the quotes.

What I have in my notes from having read the book that does seem to relate here: "Factors influencing playability of starting hands: whether others limped/raised or reraised - size of antes - upcards - opponents still to act - chip stack relative to limits."

Note that having a "starting hand" is presumed before one begins to take these other factors into account. So just having one isn't a recommendation to play. I believe these were the factors I was referring to in a previous post. I also have a note that says the upcards in Razz are more significant than in any other game. So that bad board takes on a lot of weight in light of this statement if we believe Forrest. Of course, he didn't give us any proof, it's just his opinion.

But the most salient point from the book that has a direct relation to this discussion is a comment by Seed about 5th street:

"Fold, even if marginally right to call - in a tournament, preserve your chips."

These are my notes and not exact quotes. Now, here is Forrest on the same 5th street issue:

"Stay in with the best 4 card draw."

The street in question:

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___???
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

But then, Phil Ivey just reminded us not to do something just because it's in a book. To make up our own minds. And so we should.