View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: If you could just do it all over...

I would probably do almost everything different.

I should have gone broke at least three times that I can recall (including the time I put almost every penny into one MTT and came in 3rd).

I've been playing poker roughly four years now. I spent the first year as a goof-off - slightly profitable, probably -EV. After that I played MTTs and SNGs semi-seriously. The last 15 or 16 months I've been playing just live cash games.

If I had to start over again, I'd have gone straight to cash games, and probably to no limit sooner (I never played a hand of cash no limit until last summer).

I loved learning all the different games, but I should have just glanced at some and not spent so many hours trying to master each and every form I could. Very -EV short run, as my bankroll wasn't growing because I kept going back to microstakes in different games rather than growing my stakes/roll in one or two.

But the bottom line is this: I've had fun playing poker, still have (some) fun playing poker, and am crushing midstakes games. I'm cool with that, its a nice side income and I enjoy the people I get to meet (well most of them).

Poker is a hobby for me, and without a doubt, the most cost-effective one I've ever had.