View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: this is your war on drugs

[ QUOTE ]
The fact of the matter is, 98% of people currently incarcerated for drug offenses are pure, recreational users. Do I have a problem with that? Hell no, marijuana is pretty much harmless, and hard drugs kill people and I look at it as natural selection at it's finest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand you to be saying that you don't have a problem with people using drugs recreationally (please correct me if my understanding is inaccurate).

You're also stating that 98% of the people incarcerated for drug offense are incarcerated for purely recreational drug use. Wow, that seems really high, but I suppose you are probably correct.

Let me ask you this, please: do you have a problem with the law that would incarcerate such a huge number of rec drug users? And further, do you feel (as I do) that police officers and prosecutors are acting immorally by enforcing such immoral laws?

Finally, do you think (as I do) that the prisons and jails are unsafe and that no non-violent, recreational drug user should be put into, or forced to remain in, such an unsafe environment? And that it is criminal to force them (and others who similarly have done nothing horrible against society nor seriously victimized anyone) into such an environment?

I think all police officers, prosecutors, prison guards and even judges who act to place non-violent, non-dangerous "criminal" offenders behind bars are acting more imorally, and are also in effect greater criminals themselves, than are the lawbreakers whom they are imprisoning.

I realize that I've asked you a string of questions: if you could please try to respond to them sequentially, followed by a summary, it would be appreciated. I think my line of moral reasoning is intact, but I am aware that not everyone will share my premises. To my way of thinking, though, the conclusion generally follows from the moral chain of questions and thinking presented above.

Thanks for reading.