View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Inducing a bluff

[ QUOTE ]
No need to overthink this one, bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... I think most likely he was peeling the flop with an inferior ace or an underpair to the board. I see players at commerce do this ALL the time with a hand like 33, 66, 77 in this spot. They want to see that the turn is a "safe-card" before they check raise or lead bet the turn. Obviously the ace on the turn was not said "safe-card".

However.... one thing to consider is that you lose value if he has a hand like AJ-A9 and you check the turn... however... one benefit is the following.

By checking the turn I think you induce a crying call on the river by ANY pair if it's checked to you. Sticking with my same example from above. Player calls your preflop late position raise with 66... flop looks safe, but they are kind of weak and want to see a safe turn.

Turn is an ace... they hate it and plan to fold the turn to your bet. BUT, now you check. River, comes a blank... they still don't like their hand but don't have the balls to bet it. They check, you bet... they talk themselves into a crying call because in their eyes you "gave-up" on the turn and must have two other unpaired broadway cards. I don't know if you know the Korean John Smith that plays at commerce every day, but he pulls this play off to perfection. Someone people are always making crying calls to him on the river after he checked the turn. It works for him :-)

This is the only place I see this play gaining value...