View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: 1 - 5 stud variance question

I'd recommend the 5/10 at the Trop over Taj. Trop doesn't have autoshufflers (Taj does), and isn't as nice as the Taj (after the upgrades). But, Trop's stud regulars aren't that good IMHO. Also, there's times you'll get in a game with some Asian gambler-types, or aggressive hold 'em players waiting for a seat. They have at least 1 game going after 11AM with a list, sometimes 2 on weekends. The games have been tight lately, but when they're good they're profitable.

The last few times I played at the Taj I didn't see any fish, zero. Almost every player had a clue how to play stud. The games were actually boring, and I LOVE playing stud. I felt like I was intruding on someone's home game. Everytime I had a hand and bet, everyone folded. They do have two games going everyday after 11AM-noon, and are pretty solid all night. The stud games break up a little later at the Taj, more players.

To answer your original question, I don't think that the 1/5/10 game at Bally's can be seriously profitable. The only way it could be is if the game/room had A LOT of fish/clueless types. Bally's is also a smaller/slower poker room, which attracts a lot of regulars and bus trippers.
Now, if that same game was spread at the Borgata, and attracted some casual and younger stud players, I think it would be a different story.

Stud is still hanging on in AC, mostly at the Taj, Trop, Bally's, and Harrah's. Borgata only spreads high limit stud nowadays.