View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Limit vs NL for learning purposes?

[ QUOTE ]
I gave this one a bit of thought the other night, why I don't know. The conclusion that I came to is that limit is probably the best learning option for most players (excluding the few & proud who are naturally adept at the skills necessary for NL). My reasoning:

1) Your mistakes will cost you less. We're all going to make many mistakes as a beginning player (and still make mistakes as an experienced one); that's part of the cost of learning. No need to pay more than you have to.
2) Calling down is a lot cheaper. Most new players call down far too often when it should be obvious they're beaten.
3) For many players, there's less of a tilt risk in limit than in NL. It's one thing to have an opponent catch a 2-outer on the river to beat you; it's another when you get it all in on the turn & watch your entire stack slide over to him.
4) And probably most importantly, you're going to see quite a few more scenarios as a beginner playing limit than you will in NL. Why? Because you'll rarely be getting the correct pot odds to take bottom pair to the turn in NL, or to call the flop with a gutshot + backdoor flush draw. The more situations you see, and the experience you gain from each one, the more you're going to learn. This is especially critical in things like reading hands & playing the opponent (vs. playing the cards). Not to mention getting concepts like pot odds & equity down to the point where you don't have to think about them very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

The above are reasons why you don't want to learn at Limit if you know you're going to be playing NL.

They play very differently. If bankroll is a problem, play micro stakes at NL.