Thread: Oversized Chip
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Oversized Chip

I'm well aware of the fact that placing a single oversized chip into the pot constitutes a call unless stated otherwise verbally. However, while playing at the newly opened Wheeling Island poker room, I ran into a situation where I was unsure of what the proper rule was.

I was playing 1/2 NL and was in one of the blinds. There were no raises preflop so the pot was pretty small, so on the flop I decided to bet $5. I was opening the betting and placed a single $5 chip into the pot. I normally announce what I'm doing verbally, but it didn't seem necessary here. I think someone followed suit by calling with a red chip, and then somebody called by using 2 white chips. Somehow my oversized chip seemed to constitute the minimum bet since I didn't say anything. I was confused for a second and didn't protest as I was trying to figure out what happened. The action progressed before I got a chance to say anything, and I didn't think it was that big a deal at the time anyway. Is this a normal rule or is it a case of a newbie dealer mistake?