View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Re: $3/$6 interesting Razz hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Comments? Villain is unknown unfortunately...

3rd is I guess debateable but I was getting more than 4:1. Two dead 5s and a Q>K made me call it. I really thought about capping the river...

Razz ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

[/ QUOTE ]

Ante - 8 x 0.5 = $4.00 + $1.00 bring-in = $5.00 + his bet of $3.00 = $8.00 against your call of $2 so you are indeed getting 4 to 1 pot odds and approximately 4 to 1 to outflop him. What you need to understand is that this is to catch up. This is not a nut flush draw in holdem where you compare the pot odds directly to the outs you have - this play does not win those bets.

This approach of defending the bring in and only continuing when you do outflop him is a completely fallacious idea and is a serious leak because you know he has a 3 card hand and he knows you have a 2 card hand. Even if you outflop him, lets say for the sake of arguement that you become even money to win from here on out...

1 out of 5 times = now even money to win
4 out of 5 times = you fold

So using this horrible strategy, you will win a hand 1 out of 10 times, lose a hand 1 out of 10 times and lose 2/3s of a small bet 4 out of 5 times. Unless the player is a really bad chaser (and he would have to be real bad!), you actually need about 9 to 1 pot odds or better to make this call profitable - not 4 to 1 pot odds. You are never going to get 9 to 1 pot odds!

Your just basically throwing away $2 - 4 out of 5 times. You make this play 10 times and it will lose you on average $16....

This will improve your game dramatically - Its surprising how many of the people here that say that the call on third is break even or is ok - they really don't know what they are talking about... no offense. Its a horrible strategy, its really absolutely dreadful!