View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Peters v. McCline

For the Peter fight, you can get Under 10.5 -130 at Skybook or BetJamaica (arb-able against 5Dimes Over 10.5 +140).

I didn't take that under only because McCline has been durable (when he's not blowing out his patella tendon mid-fight).

Sam Peter is a murderous puncher, and he gets some highlight real type knockouts, but he hasn't show the same kind of knockout ability against better competition. He also hasn't shown much power late in fights. He has really bad stamina, and may look to pace himself if it doesn't seem McCline is ready to go early.

I was close to betting the under, but couldn't pull the trigger. So if I had to bet, I would take the under, but I am not going to.

Instead I laid a lot of chalk and took Peter at -750 at BetJamaica, the best price I have seen (I don't check Pinnacle though since I am in the US).

I agree with your assessment of McCline. I can't see him beating Peter. McCline has decent power, but Peter has an amazing chin. He can't win by knockout, and his chance of winning a decision is negligible. Peter has too much of an advantage in youth, power and hand speed (although Peter's stamina is pretty bad).

McCline is 37 and there is a good chance he had been using steroids in the past (a news story just came out about him). In his last fight, he blew out his patella tendon in the 3rd round, and so was TKOed. His body may be breaking down a bit, which is not surprising considering his age, size and possible steroid abuse.

Another good thing is that Peter weighed in at 250. I would still like to see him lose some more weight, but he looked good in the second Toney fight when he came in at 249. He had more energy in that bout, which isn't saying much, considering he seemed exhausted after about 4 rounds in their first fight.