View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Boxing Weekend of 10/5 - 10/7: Barreria v. Pacquiao

Lots of good fights this weekend with a HBO PPV and a ShoBoxing First Saturday of the Month Card. Lets its started with the biggest fight this weekend.

Manny Pacquiao -331
Marco Antonio Barrera +301

This is a great fight, the only thing it is needed to happen about 1-2 years ago. When Pacquio was coming off 2 defeats of Morrales and Barrera was coming off a dismantling of Rocky Juarvez, but since both fighters have different promoters (Golden Boy and Top Rank) and those promotions had a hatred for each other not that long ago, we all should be happy just to get this rematch.

Barrera at +300 is a good deal. I believe Pacman is a great fighter, but I am never sure which one will always show up. Pacman is known to become distracted during fight training which I believe hinders some of his performances, but when one he is one of the toughest fighters to beat. I believe Pacman will win this fight, but I don't think he should be 1-3 against a legend who is a bigger fighter and still a very skilled fighter. Barrera at +300 screams value. He might not win this fight, but would you ever feel more confident betting a 3-1 in a fight. MAB (Marco Antonio Barrera) has been counted out a few times in the last few years. The first being after Pacman destroyed him in 2002. This fight brough Pacquio to boxing's forefront and at the same time was supposed to the fight to signal the end MAB's career. But MAB bounced back and fight as good as ever. Then 18 or so again MAB won a very close and controversial fight against Rocky Juarvez, in their rematch people figured Rocky would school the older MAB, but MAB again proved people wrong and dominated Rocky over 12 rounds. It just seems when everyone counts MAB out he comes out and surprises them.

MAB has let it be known that his boxing career is just about over and his fight might be his last one. This is one of the reasons people believe that Pacman should be a huge favorite. It would seem Pacman the undisputed champ will pummel the "old" MAB. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. In MAB's last fight against Juan Manuel Marquez, it seemed like a decisive win for Marquez (but not according to HBO who though MAB won a close fight). I believe Marquez won that fight with his more powerful punches, the thing that stands out in that fight about MAB is the phantom knock down. Anyone who say that fight know Marquez was hurting MAB when MAB turned it out and knocked Marquez down. The ref ruled it a slip and let the fight go on. The thing I take from that is MAB still has some punching power and unlike MAB's rival Morrales(recently), when MAB is hurting and in trouble he can still and will unload with a punch that can hurt and opponet.

In this fight I see MAB being more assertive with his boxing style. Pacquio will come out right after MAB and look to blow him out in the first few rounds. I see MAB moving a lot laterally to keep the hard charging Pacman off his chest. I don't know if MAB can take the punishmen Pacman will dole out, but I believe MAB will come prepared for this fight a excellent gameplan. Will that gameplan be enough to stop Pacman is the question.

I just can't touch a fighter at 1-3 against MAB, so unless your really like to gamble on bad odds (and if you do it only a matter of time before you go busto) then feel free to jump all over Pacquio, but there are other better bets out there to bet on.

Enjoy the Fights and Look for my Other Fight Write-Up for this weekend.

Tuds