View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: The Well: Adanthar (1/16/07)

[ QUOTE ]
1) How did you build your bankroll? What would you have done differently knowing what you know now?

2) I am considering law school. I am hoping to support myself by playing poker while in school, but I hear first year is a hell of a grind will either poker or law studies suffer no matter what? Any tips for balancing the two?

[/ QUOTE ]

1)I built my roll the easy way...ran hot when it counted. Basically, by the time I figured out that I was winning because other people sucked at poker more than me and not because I was good, I had a few thousand dollars already saved up. I also have a talent for running hot every time I get bored with running bad at something and switch games - eg, I broke even for a couple of hundred SNG's once (which was like 2 months for me at the time, lol), switched to multis and instantly started a nice five figure cash streak. I totally recommend you do that.

Seriously...I wouldn't change much myself, but I do wish I had given myself a more solid cash game grounding when I was first coming up. I'm a winner at the softer 5/10 and even 10/20 NL games online, but I still have a handicap vs. HSNL and will for a long time, because my instincts are that of a more cautious SNG/MTT player.

2)Boy, I'm such a wrong person to ask this one...honestly, I *personally* did nothing in law school that was law-related or involved studying, except for about a month during 1L. There is a book out there called "Brush with the Law", about two law students slightly ahead of the poker boom that nonetheless had time for an orgy and a blackjack team respectively. That would be me, minus the orgy and the blackjack. So basically, I wouldn't take my advice for anything law school-related.

That said, if you have a handy supply of outlines, live in a law fraternity (with its own house), and have a girlfriend that you later wind up marrying, I recommend you stop going to class around the second month or so. Oh yeah, and buy E&E for your contract prof; he gives his exams straight out of there so when you open it the night before the final, you'll get your only A of law school. It's really sweet.