View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 08:54 PM
 is offline

Default Re: Updated satellite strategy post

[ QUOTE ]
I want to be certain I understand this entirely:

[ QUOTE ]
The final hand of the sat went like this: a medium to large stack raised 4x to 12K in EP. Another medium to large, but somewhat smaller stack called the raise in MP. The SB, with ~22K total (he would have been about 20'th of 26) thought and pushed in with kings, EP instafolded, and MP thought forever and called with jacks (losing would have put him about 20th as well), then sucked out. Hilariously, every single decision made by all 3 players in the hand - in a 650 dollar buyin - was mildly to extremely wrong and, in at least one case, a $3000+ mistake. Think about that and then figure out how profitable these things are compared to a DSO, especially if you're the short stack watching this from the other table with ~10K chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so here's my shot at IDing the mistakes:

1) EP should pretty much be folding anything here since he is a large stack. Obviously anything he isn't calling a reraise with should not have been raised in the first place.

2) MP should have insta-folded for the first raise, and then insta-folded for the second raise since he missed his chance the first time around. There is zero reason for him to be calling the first raise with JJ againt someone that can knock him out or cripple him. Even if he flops perfect and gets all his chips in, he can always A) be accidentally behind or B) get sucked out on and lose.

3) I assume that the SB should have simply folded the KK? When he goes all-in with KK, even if gets called with JJ of the same suit (pretty much the best case scenario), he still has roughly an 18% chance of being eliminated and not getting the prize package. Since he is dumb enough to call here, I have to assume that even if he wins and doubles up, he won't be guaranteed to win the seat, because he'd probably get frisky againt a larger stack when he was dealt AA next hand. There is no way that the chances of getting a seat by blindly folding EVERY SINGLE HAND HE IS DEALT until someone goes out is less than 82%.

I want to make sure I fully grasp this, as I need to jump on this satellite bandwagon soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

adanthar -

Were these right, by the way?