View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Adanthar\'s Robotic 10+1 Strategy Guide v. 1 (early beta)

I've recently (over 6 months) played over 3000 $11's I agree that open pushing early (guide says do this with AA-QQ lvl 1-2) WON'T get called enough under normal table conditions. BUT, there are two considerations I'd like to point out. Perhaps they are obvious...

1) If there are 9-10 players still in and the betting has been 'big' for 2 hands or more, then someone is going to take you on...many times with A4o or 65s. These table conditions are NOT rare at the $11's. But after the first two people are gone the table will generally tighten up (calling all-ins, that is) as reality sets in. So, normally, I wouldn't open push, but the $11's are OFTEN abnormal...alot of the skill in beating them is figuring out which are which quickly so you can apply the right strategy.

2) The two biggest errors people make in the $11's are preflop hand selection and calling too much post-flop. These are easy to exploit early and I believe that it is more +ev to string it out. Of course, you'll get drawn out on some, but you would be with the push as well. Further, decent post-flop play (knowing when to shut the betting down or letting it go on) can mitigate some damage. This strengthens the argument against open pushing AA-QQ early, I think.

But, ok, Adanthar is saying a guide for ROBOTIC PLAY. Then pushing is probably best. Any other approach is going to require thinking on some level, "how can I get the most out of this hand given what I've seen at the table so far?" Now we are past robotic play...

Be well