View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Re: What an atheist is, for Splendour

[ QUOTE ]
I guess we are just apples and oranges luckyme...You appear to care a lot more about science than I do...I care more about God...To me God is what made science possible...

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is an interesting reply, since luckyme didn't mention "science" at all in his post.

I hesitate to speak for others, but I took his reply to be more generally about using an evidence-based approach to discover knowledge and truth. This is obviously an important aspect of "science" but it's certainly not exclusive to it.

Put another way, we all use this "scientific" approach a thousand times a day to make all kinds of decisions. This seems unrelated to "caring about God".

I think all sane people recognize that this evidence-based approach to knowledge is correct, but religious people consider it to be incomplete. Non-religious people do not understand why this is.

Religious people often see scientific thinking as dogmatic and constrained. One example from the link you posted in the other thread:

[ QUOTE ]
(believe it or not [formal logic] can come in other forms than what you were “trained” to encounter.) - and it certainly contains philosophy - (though it may be a bit foreign to your closed mind.)

[/ QUOTE ]
In other words, reliance on "formal logic" will only get you so far. Ironically, my reliance on "formal logic" is what causes me to reject this notion.

It reminds me a little of what's going on in Africa, where high-ranking health officials in at least a couple of countries are rejecting western medicine with respect to AIDS drugs and instead promoting herbal tonics and other traditional therapies. When asked whether it was wise to reject established scientific approaches, one person replied to the effect that the journalist asking the question was trapped in a Western mindset and that Africans were not constrained in that way.

This is sad, but to me it's no different than rejecting western medicine and praying to God to save you from sickness.

Also, to OP: the answer is "good post, but probably still a waste of time". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]