View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Re: ACers; personal preferences

Abortion is an issue that I have long been torn about. The two competing arguments are as follows:

1. Neither scientists nor politicans can assert when life truly begins. Most demarcations are arbitrary. Therefore we should err on the side of life, as perhaps not to infringe on the rights of the unborn. Even if the unborn is property of the woman.

2. Contraception is a very important thing. It pains me continually when I read stories about the urban poor in third world countries having 6 or 7 kids in desolate poverty. No matter what I believe, women in desperate situations will still seek abortions, and their health will many times be threatened by its illegal nature. Moreover, the health of mother isn't just pertinent to her - I think it in a very real way affects the health of the other siblings. It seems facetious, that for a developing clump of cells, we should ensure that 4 children starve rather than having one healthy child live.

Ideological vs. utilitarian. Right now, I lean more towards the utilitarian argument, but it very much conflicts me in discussing the issue.