View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 08:19 AM

Default Don\'t be this guy

Playing a tournament and a guy is contemplating. He grabs a stack of 20 chips and counts 'em out in front of his cards (his cards are way far back). He grabs another stack of 20 and starts to count and the dealer says "no sir, it's going to be 20". Guy says "haha, yeah right" and keeps counting more chips. "No sir, I'm not kidding, you already brought 20 chips in front of your cards and you can't go back for more." Player gets very upset and insists the floor get called. Floor comes and says "the bet is 20" and the player starts ranting about the BS rules here and how this isn't his first trip around the block and he's played poker all over the country and this is the first time anybody ever tried to tell him that a bet brought in front of your cards is binding. No sir, that's just total BS, that's not a real rule, and everybody in this poker room is WRONG.

But then he keeps going... "I'm sick of this bull. All the time people keep using me to make an example of. Over and over it's 'that's a string bet' or 'you broke this rule' or 'you checked' when I didn't mean to. I'm just sick of this. Not just this time here, but over and over it keeps happening."

I had a hard time not busting out laughing out loud at him. MAYBE, just perhaps, if people are constantly telling you that you're string betting and breaking rules, it's because you are? Possibly?

When someone says "this is the rule", I recommend not turning into a raving, paranoid lunatic.

At the same time I understand his frustration with the variation of rules between rooms, and even between dealers and floor people. I imagine he'd been doing exactly what he did this time all night long and no other dealer had said a thing. A new dealer comes into the box and BAMMO, what he's gotten away with 6 times prior is now a string bet. That part does kinda suck.