View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Sit \'n Go Strategy study group -- Part I: Low Blind Play

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Open-limping in middle-late position seems pretty weak IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your response. I know it does seem weak (and Collin agrees with you), but how satisfied are you with your situation as portrayed in the example. You have half your stack committed holding a mid pair on an ace-high board. By limping you encourage other callers which makes the set mine play viable.

Collin's play either cripples you or wins you a quarter of your stack. Limping either costs you 60 chips or wins almost as much as Collin's play.

Is this book written for new players? If yes, unless they're well-heeled or crazy they'll be playing in games where people routinely call raises with Ax. Is it really a smart play to bet pot on this turn? It seems to really contradict his "be conservative early" theme, unless he's sncouraging me to go to war with speculative hands...which I don't think is the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely see your point and would most likely check behind on the turn if I were in that situation; not necessarily because it is the better play, but because I would probably fear the ace.

On the other hand, I see Collin's point. Your opponent is passive and while he could be in with an A, he could also have high cards like KQ, or even a flush draw. You would hate to give a free card in this spot. If your opponent doesn't hold an A, he is probably folding here. If he does have an A, he will most likely raise. Given that your opponent is passive, and raise will definitely signal an A and you can safely fold. The blinds are still low and you will still have 1000 left.

Honestly, knowing how I play I doubt I make this turn bet unless I had some kind of read that led me to believe my opponent would most likely fold as expending half your stack at this early stage does seem to conflict with the conservative early approach.

Definitely hope to hear more opinions on this hand.

fwiw I am not a biginner as I have been playing and studying poker/tournament poker/SNGs for a number of years. However, I am not an expert either as time only allows me to play a couple of tournaments a week, meaning while I've put in the YEARS, I haven't put in the HOURS many other players have, so I am just as interested in other's opinions on this as well.