View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Pooh-bah post: A general guide for aspiring online poker players

Great job. I wish someone had written this guide when I was first starting out.

I'd like to single out this section:
[ QUOTE ]

It's Not Cash, It's Chips

A major step in becoming a successful player is learning to disassociate cash value from the chips you use at the table. If you are worried about the money you are risking, you will not be able to play your best, simple as that. It helps to think of your bankroll in terms of big bets and buyins, as opposed to real cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's an overstatement to say that this frame of mind is essential to be totally at ease with proper bankroll management. With this perspective, your bankroll becomes stable: a set and essentially unchanging number of bets no matter how much the actual dollar amount fluctuates. I'd advise all newer players to take this to heart religiously.

Also, about rakeback:

PLEASE! Do not sign up on any poker sites (even for play money) before researching if there's a way to get rakeback there. When I was new, I'd sign up at every site I heard of. Many sites will not allow established players to go back and sign up through an affiliate. I'm sure this one error cost me countless thousands of dollars.

Again, excellent job!