View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Personality and overall attractiveness

Ok, I really REALLY feel I need to interject here. A lot of this may be opinion, but its logical, well thought out over the years, and entertaining.. so hey, feel free to discuss.

First, looks and personality, while both combining to form your overall opinion of a girl (I'm a guy, I'm writing it from that point of view), are not BOTH on the scale. The numerical scale is for looks; IMO, personality is not on a scale.. it's much more subjective than looks, and as such its in the eye of the beholder.

The bottom line is, looks and personality cannot be on the same scale because without an initial physical attraction on some level, personality means nothing. For instance, upon seeing a girl, I put them in the 'yes/no for sex' category right away, regardless of their rating. I can be much more attracted to a 7 than an 8.5 based on personality (see explanation of my ratings below), but nonetheless, the 8.5 is still hotter, even though my overall view of the girls has changed.

I'd like to think the 1-10 scale is objective (within maybe a point or two based on some personal tastes), because there are general features that are simply attractive in women in the eyes of men, and some that aren't.

My scale works a lot like imdb.com's movie rating scale, and I do in fact use decimals because I think there is a great deal of clustering. I barely ever EVER give out a 10, a 9+ is rather rare, 8+ is a very hot girl, and 7 is a typical attractive girl that is very much dateable for me. Typical attractive girls you'd see on a daily basis fit between 6.5 and 8, with ones approaching 8 and above truly standing out (much like really good movies). Anything between 5.5 and 6 is questionable for me personally, but as has been discussed, personality can make someone worthy of pursuit.

The scale must be kept entirely seperate from personality so that any girl may be placed on the scale and can subsequently be discussed without the need for all parties involved to have met her. "She was an 8" should mean something. From that point on, her personality can be explained, but there's simply no way to add that to the scale because men are attracted to different traits; personality is also much more complex than looks. The Scale (yes, it is capitalized from hence forth) is the starting point and basis for all disucssion regarding females.

That's my $0.02