Thread: Down Swings
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Down Swings

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are a winning player BANKROLL deals with the swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont post obvious, yet irrelevant resonses like this.

What everyone else said is spot on. Take a break, analyze your game and most importantly, DONT PLAY ON TILT! I've struggled with this in the past, and the best way to break an approaching downswing is to close all your windows immediately the second you start to tilt and things are going to chit.

Talk with friends, read read read, 2+2 it up, go down a level to rebuild confidence, or just take a break from all things related to poker for a couple days and clear your mind...all things I do and they work well.

[/ QUOTE ]
For the benefit of OSUGreg1983 who obviously could not understand the point I was making I will expand.

If you are correctly bankrolled the downswings should not be as painful and therefore you will avoid tilting (or at least greatly reduce it). Every player needs to accept that downswings are an inevitable part of playing poker. Variance will occur and is one of the main reasons players tilt and then go on a downward spiral and play worse.

I have playing online poker for 5 years and much longer than that live. I am a winning player over an enormous timescale. I never redeposit and only withdraw. The reason is that I am correctly bankrolled. I go through downswings as all players do but I accept this and it doesn’t hurt so much because I know it will turn. Taking a break does not break the spell. You need to carry on playing correct poker and making the right decisions.

Some players will not be winning players and will need to set a budget on what they can afford to pay for their poker entertainment but even those players will benefit by playing within a good bankroll. You don’t want a few bad beats to mean a huge chunk of your bankroll has gone.

Good luck to the OP in dealing with your swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you would have posted this in the first place I wouldn't have taken to you the way I did. Lesson learned? Great!