View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Live Flop Play: How Many Bets?

I probably call the 5-bet. If I knew he wouldn't 7-bet, I would 6-bet.

I love the idea of jamming the pot (but not all-in) with a huge draw HU in position on the flop any time we have around or even slightly less than a 50% chance to win (or more obv.). It would increase variance but I think it is generally +EV as we would gain turn and river advantages. We gain deception, particularly those times we turn our hand and can continue jamming - it increases our implied odds. Jamming the pot will also gain us the a free card on the turn those times we miss the draw, and get checked to. But these would only be advantages if we have chips left at the turn and river (didn't reraise to the felt at the flop). In addition, I think some people would see jamming flop as a good image play that will get us better action in future hands.

However, when villain takes this to 5 or 7 bets at the flop, I think it becomes pretty clear that we usually have less than a 50% chance to win. Even though we have an image of a LAG, villain is generally semi-passive and a set in his hand looks very likely. He will also very occasionally have a higher FD.