View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Massive $140,000 chip dump on Ongame

[ QUOTE ]
99.9% of chip dumping is money laundering. Illegally obtained funds are transferred around from player to player until the dumping is so complex you cannot trace who has legally or illegally ended up with the money. The “dirty” money is laundered until it is “clean”. Hence the term “money laundering”.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you please cite a source for where you got your 99.9% figure? 100% of chip dumping I've witnessed has not been money laundering. Furthermore, can you please explain how this argument against chip dumping doesn't also apply to player to player transfers that occur at sites that offer them (not OnGame, where it is not offered). Don't you suppose that there must be a lot of money laundering going on in transfers if money laundering is as omnipresent a problem as you make it out to be? Perhaps even more than is happening through chip dumping?

For the record, I also have no problem with people buying or selling drugs or engaging in prostitution. I also don't fear terrorism the way the US government wants me to. Thus, your reasons for why it is my civic duty to snitch out people for chip dumping (besides how I disagree with your 99.9% figure in the first place) are not compelling to me. I still say you and everyone else in this thread who are so opposed to chip dumping are (a) applying a double standard and (b) grossly overestimating the degree to which chip dumping is really a problem. I think a lot of this "OMG this is so obvious" sentiment in this thread is coming from people who aren't really thinking about the situation critically and are just reacting to the mob mentality that we should give a [censored] about chip dumpers. I don't think we should and I have yet to hear a compelling reason why, and I have yet to hear anyone dispel the double standard I perceive when it comes to chip dumping vs. player to player transfers on poker sites.