View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 05:37 AM

Default Re: This is why I\'m for the death penalty.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm against the death penalty for three reasons.

1) He could be innocent. The chance of him being innocent is always present.

2) It could be considered an "easy" way out, for him. I think a lot of people would pick death over being gangbanged for life in a prison.

3) The moral questions: Who are we to take a life? Is it right to kill someone just because they're bad? Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Often I think its pretty obvious that the person is not innocent and cannot be innocent. There are clearly cases where the chances of the convicted being innocent is so slim it is not worth noting. When you have a dozen of eye witnesses, DNA, confession, motives, videotape and so on there is very litle reason for talking about "chance of being innocent".

2. Are we supposed to give the worst criminals the sentence that we believe will be worst for each and every one of them? In our society death clearly stands out as the ultimate punishment, and I dont think you can change that just because some convicted murderers might feel that life in prison is even worse.

3. Who are we to take freedom away from others? Is it right to tell people that "you have to spend the rest of your life inside this tiny cell" just because they have beeen bad? Who are we to judge anyways? And who are we to decide whats appropiate punishment and not? Someone who has taken the life of an innocent person might deserve to have his life taken too, imo. If he felt he was justified in his actions then clearly "we" are justified too.