View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Farha on Omaha - Anybody read it yet?

[ QUOTE ]
I read through Farha on Omaha at Borders. Here's my review:

I was very disappointed by Farha on Omaha. The book is rather short and covers three games: Limit Omaha, Limit Omaha/8, Pot Limit Omaha and Omaha tournaments. The tournament sections are barely worth reading. The Full Tilt Poker: Tournament Strategy Edition covers Omaha tournaments 100 times better than Farha's book. The Limit Omaha section takes up about a third of the book and it's useless since nobody plays Limit Omaha. The Omaha/8 sections and Pot Limit Omaha sections contain mostly basic strategy such as drawing to the nuts, dangers of bottom and middle set and not playing for half the pot in O8 games. Good for beginners, but already standard knowledge for most players. There are occasional nuggets of information that are pretty useful for an intermediate player (short-handed PLO play, playing against short stack players), but not enough to get an intermediate player to buy the book.

However, book is not for pure newbie players (Omaha should never be the first game a beginner learns). The rules are barely explained for a total newbie to pick up and understand. It'll confuse the hell out of them. This book is good for a player who is already fairly experienced in another game and wants to make the transition to playing Omaha. They will pick up the techniques in this book much faster and use them more wisely. Those people are the only ones who should consider purchasing this book. There's just enough information to make them a winning player in soft, low-limit games.

I really wish this book went into more depth about PLO and O8. When a book is less than 200 pages long and spends only 60 pages or so about the two games combined, you know that there's way too much information missing. PLO is a very complex game and really requires a full book's worth of information to properly explain how to play winning PLO (at least 150 pages, possibly 200+). It lacks the advanced strategies that can make somebody a winner at middle and high limit games. Ray Zee's O8 section in High Low Split Poker for Advanced Players is far better than Farha's O8 section in his book and Secrets of Professional Pot Limit Omaha is the best (and only) book for advanced PLO strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but I had to fyp.