View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 12:55 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller
Default Re: PNL Study Group Day 2: Stack Sizes

[ QUOTE ]
What are the advantages/disadvantages to playing with different stack sizes? People often advise to buy-in for 100BB (usually the max online), but they often don't explain why. People who shortstack are usually dismissed as being "donks". What are some reasons to consider playing with a shorter stack, and how should your play change as a result?

[/ QUOTE ]

broad topic, but I'll give a few thoughts. when you have the biggest stack at the table, you have the advantage of being able to win anyone's stack on any hand. but you can also lose it too! so having the biggest stack is good if you play better than all your opponents, and of course have the appropriate bankroll etc for your stakes.

more generally, stack size influences the style of play. with a smaller stack, you necessarily will have less money to play the turn and river, so you adjust your strategy accordingly to play less hands that require implied odds, etc.

also, certan game types can make playing certain stack sizes profitable. playing in a passive game where no one "puts you to the test" can be great for playing a deep stack - particularly if you yourself can use your stack to apply pressure.

playing in a revved up aggressive game where players play loose preflop but are good smart postflop players can benefit a shorter stack because you exploit their weakness of playing too loose. I remember a few years ago when I was building my bankroll I'd often buy in short into really good bigger games. A lot of players I know built their bankroll like that. It's a great way of not only playing in a profitable situation, but also watching and learning from good postflop players, getting experience with higher chip denominations, feeling comfortable in a different setting, etc.

PS - I gotta run right now guys, but I'll be back later.