View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: help me know what type of videos to make

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, anyone who said they would pay any less than $20+ for a FJ video is misguided. If it's for sale at all it's worth at least $20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slim,
It's just hard to want to pay a considerable amount of money (to some people) after being used to all the videos being free (free after the sngicons registration fee). It all depends on what the trade off is. If it's between a) John makes free videos, or b) John makes videos for $10, then it's hard for people to not choose the free videos. However, it's much different if the choices are a) John makes $20+ videos, or b) John doesn't make any videos. In the latter, it would be pretty easy for people (at least me) to pay 20 or more dollars for his videos because they're worth so much more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant was, the choices should be:

a) FJ makes expensive videos because that's what they're worth.
b) FJ makes free (or cheap-as-free basic SNG Icons subscription) videos because he feels like doing something nice.
c) FJ doesn't make any videos.

I just think it's a bad idea to try charging some middle-of-the-road price for them as a compromise. It's just going to keep some people from being able to see them while shorting the author on what they're really worth and the props he should get for giving away such a valuable resource. I thought about this after getting as offer to do instructional videos. What they wanted top pay me for 45 minutes of me yammering over a set of SNGs wasn't worth IMO what they'd charge other people to watch it, plus someone else would get the money and not me. They would pay me the same thing to do a how-to analysis video, which would be a lot more work and (again IMO) worth way more than what they were willing to pay me for it and way more than they would charge their customers to watch it, plus I wouldn't get the money anyway. After thinking about it, it seemed like there were only three reasonable choices for a how-to analysis video.

1) Make the video and give it for free to everyone because that's how I learned and I want to give back.
2) Make the video and find someone to distribute it for what I think it's worth and give me back a fair share of it.
3) Be lazy and not do it.

Doing the work, not giving away away the product, but not really making any money off of it is the worst possible way to combine those.