View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Re: How dodgy is the Citibank-Abu Dhabi deal?

[ QUOTE ]
They took a stake for the intellectual property aspect. ... Their future is in becoming the worlds banker, not oil supplier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though I don't know what the current state of banking in the UAE is (2004 report), my gut reaction was similiar: What's their ulterior motive?

Agreed, this move diversifies their economic development in a time where they are radically changing banking regulation and allows them an element of control over international penetration. There is not a better investment, on that scale, for many reasons: market timing, short-term convertible nature, below the FRB radar, adding to their position, political & economic positioning, ADIA/Saudi image boost, and more I'm sure...

I wonder wtf Deep Throat is referencing when it comes down to this type/size of investment. Speculation on conspiracy theories of this scale is rampant, have anything real?

Obviously, the biggest players are re-positioning in a dramatically and rapidly changing global economic climate. But, I can't see from the sidelines if "all boats are being held up by a false high tide" as a distraction from a larger macro-economic shift out of American dominance occurring both organically and through manipulation. Sure it's possible, but without any evidence and given the circumstances, it's just an all-around shrewd move by both sides.