View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Driving the Ball 280 to 300.....Really???

I have been meaning to post on this "distance" thing for awhile. It seems there are lots of guys out there who claim to drive the ball 280 to 300+ with regularity.

I play golf with some fairly long hitters, and I'm not sure if people are being accurate.

Here's an example. I pobably carry a good drive, on average, about 235. With a tailwind, about 245, and into a HW, about 215-220. If I am on a bone dry course, or downhill, I can get a 290 or 300 yard drive, but this is with 50 or 60 yards of roll.

A couple of friends of mine are two of the longest hitters at our small club, and they can carry it about 260. A 260 yard carry with a normal trajectory is huge. When we go to other larger courses guys are pretty impressed with the distance my buddies have, but once again, they rarely carry it more than 260 and only occasionaly get a roll to 300+.

So, I ask, where are all these guys getting the 300 yard distances from? I think this occurs far rarer than most people think, yet I see people posting these numbers all the time.