View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Philosophy majors?

[ QUOTE ]
Philosophy basically teaches you how to think critically. Get ready to relearn the English language while you're at it. It's a super broad major that could take you to a wide variety of jobs. Or to law school, if you want to be like everyone else who applies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 1 in 20 law students majored in philosophy.

I love philosophy, but it is not a marketable degree. A philosophy degree won't open doors for you that any other major wouldn't. You need to be able to sell yourself well, have connections, get lucky, or go to grad school if you don't want to be stuck at some job making little money. I'm telling you this from experience of applying for some interesting positions, but delivering pizza until law school.

You mostly learn how to think precisely and critically. I found that they were the most enjoyable and rewarding courses of my academic career. You will be expected to read material that is sometimes difficult to decipher, then to write clearly about it. I think you are romanticizing philosophy. You hear/read people's views and then discuss/write about them. Many of the people are great minds, but you can always read their work if you major in something else.