View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Ask Golden_Rhino about going back to school as a 32 year old.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm super tired and heading to bed, but I wanted to grunch a question for you...so if it is answered I will get to it tomorrow morning when I can actually read my laptop screen....

Rhino,

In what ways (if any?) have you found that the extra 10 years of life experience has changed your outlook of the actual material. Do you learn certain things and relate it back to your life in the last 10 years outside of school? I find that as a 21 year old I rarely am able to connect things we learn to real-world applications without our teacher giving us an example in their life....

((I'm talking more philosophical and moral things, not something liek math problems.))

Thanks,
-Solo

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going for a major in history and an minor in English. My life experience gives me no advantage in English, and the fact that I have been out of high school for so long hurts me in regards to the 'lingo' used everyday in English classes.

In terms of history I think my extra experience gives me a bit of an advantage. Even something as trivial as having watched more war movies, history channel, and conversations with people has given me a pretty solid understanding of history. (I can't remember the guys name, but there's a dude on here who is a history channel junkie and knows a lot).

Also the fact that I have lived through major historical events (fall of the Berlin wall, the fall of communism, the Meech Lake accord etc..) gives me a first hand view on these events. Instead of just knowing dates and names, I can write about how people reacted, my own personal feelings at the time etc...

I find that many of my classmates have a difficult time with making connections (as you described). The good news is that it gets easier with time.