View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 01:37 AM

Default Re: $1.6trillion...where will it go???

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens to that investment money...gold? Iowa Farmland? Nintendo stock? who knows...

I'm not sure whether the governement will guarantee deposits after the bank has listed. I suspect they will guarantee up to a maximum just like how the banks in the UK are guaranteed. Since I suspect the bank holds mostly retail savings, most accounts probably won't have $millions on deposit anyway.

Japan's interest rates have been tiny/zero for some considerable time. I'm sure these savers could have found far better places for their savings - like under the bed. I'm surprised more Japanese savers don't have foreign currency savings accounts. I'm also sure, once private, the bank will find better use for the money.

I imagine the bank will have to diversify away from currect assets (probably Japanese gilts) and into some higher yielding/riskier assets such as corporate bonds, mortgages and other consumer debt products. I'm sure they'll invest heavily in domestic/foreign equities too and could provide a shot in the arm for The Nikkei's long long slump.

Should be interesting to see how it all pans out.