Thread: Shoulders
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Shoulders

[ QUOTE ]
From my own experience as well as from some of the people that I've trained, one of the reasons for lagging shoulders is that they are not trained with enough intensity.

If the goal is to increase shoulder size, I recommend hitting them first in a workout when you are fresh. Start with heavy overhead BB presses. Do not do behind the neck presses. Bring the bar down to our upper chest and back up. Do 3 sets at 10,8,6 reps each to failure. By failure, I mean that you are using a weight that leads to muscle failure and the inablitly to push out one more rep.

Next, you want to do lateral raises. Use lighter weight and concentrate on the contraction at the top. Hold for a 2 count and slowly lower the dumbells to the starting position being sure to maintain constant tension. Do 3 sets and keep the reps relatively high. 12 to 15. After these sets, if done with the right amount of focus and intensity, you should be having a hard time lifiting your arms.

Next, since wider shoulders is usually the goal, you want to do 3 sets of upright rows. Again, since you have already done heavy low rep presses, keep the weight where you can get 8 to 12 reps before failure. Keep constant tension throughout.

The three muscles that make up your shoulders are relatively small so this is plenty of volume to get them growing.

Make sure you give yourself at least 3 days to recover, prefferably more, and do not train chest within two days of this routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

You put me on buck wild monkey tilt. If this is Smiley again, I'm going to stab him when I go up there.