View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: this month\'s heads up magazin article

[ QUOTE ]

I don't really believe that the dynamics of HU make it so the BB should be folding LESS than 5/8ths of their hands (as suggested by the article). Being OOP is such a huge huge huge disadvantage, that despite the proper EV math, you simply aren't going to be able to play profitably by playing that much OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

While in general I agree with this sentiment, I should point out that if your opponent is folding more than 5/8 of the time, then, mathematically, you are better off raising 100% of the time than you are folding your small blind.

Even if you turbomuck every time you get called preflop, you end up doing better than folding.

I do make the point in the article that you're forced to defend with what look like -EV hands to get to 3/8 defense. As a result I think a "correct in theory" game with two strong players would feature 100% button raises, a lot of big blind folds, and a substantial amount of preflop 3-betting.

However, most strong players seem to enter into a "gentleman's agreement" with their opponents to muck a lot of hands preflop from the button, so that this situation rarely comes up.