View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: relationship between SAT scores and intelligence?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

one from Oxford Uni, one from London Uni both with the same class maths degrees.

The one from Oxford has proved themselves to a much higher standard. Anyone who says different hasn't got a clue.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anything about grading practices in the UK, nor do I claim to.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wasn't a dig at you. Its not just grading, the syllabus at Oxford is so much more advanced that people from London are doing a toy degree by comparison.

I'm almost ceratin this is a general trend in the UK. Be suprised if its not the same in the USA unless they have a common exam.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

The content of many courses in the U.S., especially science and math courses, is pretty uniform. Often the very same texts are used. You can't take calculus at the University of Louisville and only be taught half as much as someone taking the equivalent course at an Ivy League school.

For example, in California the UC system has articulation agreements with all California community colleges where the work the UC's require for lower division courses in calculus, physics, life sciences, humanities, and social sciences has been evaluated for content and a student can transfer her entire lower division general education courses from a California CC. A friend of mine on the faculty in the philosophy department at UCLA just commented to me the other day how his son had taken a calculus course at Santa Monica College and was surprised at how difficult it was. I'm not saying this is the norm, but it is not that uncommon.